How to Apply for China Tourist Visa (L) in Kuala Lumpur Version 2014

By | December 30, 2013

If you need to apply for a Chinese ‘L’ visa in Kuala Lumpur, read this latest information now. The China visa office at Plaza OSK in Jalan Ampang has moved somewhere else.


I am scheduled to travel to China on a short notice so I had to get my Chinese visa as soon as possible. Since I don’t need to hire anyone to get the visa for me, let me share with you this useful (and hopefully complete) guide on how to get your Chinese Tourist Visa (L) in Kuala Lumpur (version 2014). There’s a good reason why I put the year because most of the information on the internet is already outdated by now.

First of all, in order to get a Chinese Tourist Visa you will need to prepare a bunch of documents. The ones below are specifically for Malaysians. If you don’t hold a Malaysian passport, it’s best to get in touch with the office that handles Chinese visa directly. Before heading to the visa office, be sure to get these ready:

  1. You will need to download, print and fill out this application form. You can download the latest version from this website. If you don’t have access to a printer, you can also get the application form at the visa office.
  2. The most recent passport sized photo of yourself against a light background.
  3. A copy of your passport, with at least some blank pages and it must also be valid for at least 6 months.
  4. Printed copies of your airline return tickets.
  5. Printed copies of your hotel accommodation or any letter of invitation.

Just in case you have no time to make a copy of your passport, there’s a photocopy machine at the visa office that only charges RM0.20 per copy. There’s also a photography service but I didn’t get to check how much they charge.

Where is the New China Visa Office in Kuala Lumpur?

I made a mistake by assuming that they are still operating at Plaza OSK in Jalan Ampang. I arrived there around 10.30am this morning and later found out that they have moved to the following location since September 2013:

Level 5 & 6 Hampshire Place Office
Jalan Mayang Sari, 50450
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

To get here you can either drive or take the subway and get off at Ampang Park station. Follow the sign that says Tokio Marine building. As you reached the ground level, exit the subway station and turn to your left. At the junction turn to your left again and keep going straight until you see the following road sign and building. This is the Hampshire Place Office building.


Go straight up the 5th floor and you will be greeted with a spanking new office. It’s no longer chaotic and there’s now an electronic queue system. Note that the application hours have been extended to 3pm. Previously you can only submit in the morning.


Go straight to the reception and submit all your documents and application form. The receptionist will check your documents and issue you with a number if you have prepared everything that I mentioned. Sit down and relax while you wait for your number to be called. When I was there there were only two people in front of me.


Submit your documents to the visa officer. He or she will check your documents once more. If you’ve prepared everything they need, you’re almost there. The officer would ask what sort of service do you need e.g. express or normal. The charges for next day service (rush) is RM310.00, two days (express) service is RM230.00 and normal (4 working days) is RM85.00. Note that these prices are for Malaysian citizens only. Once again, if you’re not a Malaysian, check this website for pricing details.


The officer will then issue you the visa collection form. Keep that safely because you will need it to collect your passport. Just bring the right amount of cash and head straight to the 6th floor of the same building to collect it.

I hope that your application will go smoothly. If you think I missed anything, do input your comments or feedback below.

If this post helps you in any way, please do me a small favour by clicking Like, +1 or Tweet below!

Richard Ker

I coach people and give free tips on how to make money from home, build websites that are optimised for Google and help businesses market their products/services online. Follow me on Twitter @richardker.

More Posts

Follow Me:
TwitterFacebookGoogle Plus

  • sab

    You state that “Printed copies of your hotel accommodation .” will be required.

    If i visit for 7 days, do I need to show 7 days of confirmed accomodation?

    I am going with a few friends and each of us has booked accommodation for different cities over the 7 days. Will it be a problem to show booked accommodation under a different name?

    • Richard Ker

      I believe the first few nights should be ok, but better check people at the counter, they may be able to provide more info

  • Lee Kam Loong

    My daughter is studying in Singapore. Does she need to come back to Malaysia to apply for the visa in person? and collect in person, too?

  • Fariza Azza

    Just to share with you, previously during G20 summit event held in China, Malaysian citizens are required to submit their old passport along with supporting documents. However, starting 19 September 2016, the rules had been lifted.
    Anyway, if you need help to apply for China visa, visit to apply for China visa.